Senate Interim Committee on Education
NOTE: This is archived committee information from the 75th Legislative Session.
Sam Houston Building, 435
Video/Audio — Archives
There are no audio/video archives available online for the 75th session.
The following reports are available for download:
- Study issues related to the safety of students, teachers and visitors on public school campuses, and, if necessary, make recommendations for legislative action. The Committee should determine the amount and sources of funds spent on security efforts; consider the accountability of security officers and police officers on campuses; and review the reporting of security practices to appropriate education and law enforcement officials.
- Review the availability of drug and alcohol prevention and treatment services to students in public schools, and consider whether legislative action is necessary. The Committee should consider the services provided by schools, the amount and sources of available funds, and the existence and implementation of standards to determine the effectiveness of the services.
- Evaluate programs and services in public schools to assist students with dyslexia, hearing difficulties, or vision problems to determine whether any improvements are needed.
- Evaluate bilingual education efforts in public schools to determine the impact of such efforts.
- Monitor implementation of key legislation passed by the 75th Legislature during the 1997 regular session, including: SB 133 relating to safe schools; HB 318 relating to school choice and charter schools; SB 1158 relating to use and funding of Education Service Centers; and
- SB 148 relating to the applicability of the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP).