Senate Committee on Intergovernmental Relations
Subcommittee on Flooding & Evacuations
NOTE: This is archived committee information from the 82nd Legislative Session.
Mario Gallegos, Jr
Capitol Extension, E1.804
- Examine the current practices Texas uses during evacuations to provide immediate assistance to evacuated residents. Review experiences from other states that experienced heavy flooding during the past year, and make recommendations for best practices from lessons learned in those states.
- Study and make recommendations on options available to local governments for additional drainage infrastructure funding. Additionally, study different methods of drainage infrastructure management used on a statewide basis and identify best practices.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Subcommittee on Flooding & Evacuation, 82nd Legislature, Regular and Called Sessions, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation.
Select Interim Charges on Drought and Wildfire Preparedness
- Investigate and evaluate communication options during evacuations, and make recommendations for legislative action. Focus on:
- non-voice emergency communication;
- "near-term solutions" that can be utilized prior to the implementation of Next Generation 911 technologies;
- the usage of social media to convey official information (highlighting the pros and cons of such forums); and
- any other effective forms of communication that have been successfully used by governing and law enforcement entities.